Sim Madden League Europe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» M20 Power Rankings
Minor adaption to league rules: contract duration EmptyTue Mar 03, 2020 9:09 am by Mattanite

» Cowboys positiion change
Minor adaption to league rules: contract duration EmptyMon Feb 17, 2020 8:07 am by zill_kills

» M20 Rams Position Changes
Minor adaption to league rules: contract duration EmptySat Feb 15, 2020 10:00 am by Mattanite

» Season 34 Draft News
Minor adaption to league rules: contract duration EmptyTue Feb 04, 2020 9:25 am by Mattanite

» Haason Reddick position change
Minor adaption to league rules: contract duration EmptySat Jan 25, 2020 7:48 pm by LTown27ers

» Bish Phone Broke
Minor adaption to league rules: contract duration EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 12:59 pm by Mattanite

» VIKINGS POSITION CHANGE
Minor adaption to league rules: contract duration EmptyMon Jan 13, 2020 12:40 pm by Bartell

» Cowboys Scheme change to Hybrid
Minor adaption to league rules: contract duration EmptyFri Jan 10, 2020 7:04 pm by Bartell

» Packers Position Changes
Minor adaption to league rules: contract duration EmptyThu Jan 09, 2020 11:41 pm by Fazak

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Top posting users this month
No user

Minor adaption to league rules: contract duration

5 posters

Go down

Minor adaption to league rules: contract duration Empty Minor adaption to league rules: contract duration

Post by ParaAUT Mon May 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi,

I discovered in the last few days that the fact it will be the last season in Madden17 is used very excessive in contract negotiations. Of course if there is only 1 season left, it is easy to hand out contracts which work this year, but will put the team in cap hell in the upcoming season (fictionally). Fine at the moment, but I think there could be some adjustments for a sim league.

In the league rules it says "a maximum of 5 year contracts". How do you like the idea of reducing this maximum a bit in seasons 3 or 4?

For example (season 4):
5 year max for players 90+
4 year max for players 85+
3 year max for everybody else

Maybe for season 3:
5 year max for players 85+
4 year max for players 80+
3 year max for everybody else

In my opinion that would make sense, as nobody would hand out a 5Y/100M contract to a 30y CB. If there would be only a 3y contract allowed, the cap hit for year 1 will be much higher and the overall contract number will be much more realistic.

What do you think about that?
ParaAUT
ParaAUT
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Minor adaption to league rules: contract duration Empty Re: Minor adaption to league rules: contract duration

Post by Bartell Mon May 15, 2017 12:51 pm

There have been some crazy contracts given out and I assume its as its the last season and there is no obligation to fulfill them.

If you're a team rich in cap space, well done, it makes it easy pickings and I've found it been a complete challenge. I wont lie its been a mix of fun and frustration lol

The above method would only go some way to safe guarding crazy deals, I think if you're bringing in a contract length limit based on ability then you'd need to consider position/age too as well to ensure a level across the whole thing - to do this I think it becomes a mind field and probably a bit much to manage?
Bartell
Bartell
All-Madden
All-Madden

Back to top Go down

Minor adaption to league rules: contract duration Empty Re: Minor adaption to league rules: contract duration

Post by Mattanite Mon May 15, 2017 12:54 pm

This would be solved by having regression after the draft and FA. It's been discussed on OpSports before, then you don't know if you sign that veteran if or how much they will regress. Stopping blanket regression like in M17 would also help, having everyone regress differently based on their profile.
Mattanite
Mattanite
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

https://forums.operationsports.com/Mattanite/

Back to top Go down

Post by ParaAUT Mon May 15, 2017 1:09 pm

Regression is not the point here. Mainly the contract value. Players are signed where it is absolutely clear that the cap space will not work in the next season(s), but of course it does not matter now.

Don't think age will matter too much. How often does a player with ovr 85+ and age 25-26 really hit free agency? Max a hand full each year, so shouldn't be a huge factor. But anyway, you could see players below 27 can get 5y contracts - would be another factor to the rule.
ParaAUT
ParaAUT
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post by dwevans Mon May 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Unfortunately I think it's very difficult to make contract signing sim in Madden. The points system doesn't work and hopefully will be altered. 

What could work is only being allowed to offer what the player is asking for contract length wise.

One year 'prove it' deals happen all the time in the NFL after a down year for very good players (Poe etc.). This would would never happen in user leagues as all the stats are visible.

The other possible option is to introduce a veteran minimum so you can't tank their contracts.
dwevans
dwevans
All-Madden
All-Madden

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattanite Mon May 15, 2017 4:20 pm

I wrote these 2 posts on the franchise rebuild thread regarding free agency.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2048787514&postcount=129

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2048787579&postcount=130

The first post outlines the process that FA should follow. The second post outlines how draft class strength per position group should force expectations of Free Agents up or down accordingly.

Basically it boils down to desired contract should be a factor of both OVR and statistical season. So if you offer a high OVR player with a poor previous season anything other than a "1 year prove it" deal, they will expect more per year. Basically, a players expectations change based on the no of years offered. Off them 7 years and they'll think they're deserving of a superstar contract.
Mattanite
Mattanite
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattanite Mon May 15, 2017 6:46 pm

Not that any of this helps your case @ParaAUT, what it sounds like it needs is an enforced rule of max contract length that you can offer according to OVR vs age. A simple graph would do it, OVR along the bottom, age down the side and a parabola or double log curve etc showing what the max length is for that player. Would take me a jiffy it wasn't draft night Smile
Mattanite
Mattanite
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattanite Tue May 16, 2017 12:50 pm

Max YearsAgeOVR
<70ovr70-75ovr75-80ovr80-85ovr85-90ovr>90ovr
Age20566777
Mattanite
Mattanite
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattanite Tue May 16, 2017 12:50 pm

Minor adaption to league rules: contract duration WOQ3GsjY6ocFQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
Mattanite
Mattanite
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattanite Tue May 16, 2017 12:53 pm

So something like this graph or chart? Obviously the numbers need working but it illustrates the point. You can't sign mid level 30+ veterans looking for a chance to play or go to a contender to longer contracts. At the same time, it allows younger players to stick long term on a team.

Next step would be have the commissioners agree to what numbers go where if you were serious about implementing a rule.
Mattanite
Mattanite
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Back to top Go down

Post by dwevans Tue May 16, 2017 1:03 pm

That graph looks like my mood during the Super Bowl against ET.
dwevans
dwevans
All-Madden
All-Madden

Back to top Go down

Post by dwevans Tue May 16, 2017 1:05 pm

And don't get ahead of yourself Matt. No commish has even commented in this thread!

I also think an unproven rookie/young free agent would only get a 1-2 year contract. A normal distribution might be a more correct type curve for FA, maybe with skew one way or the other

Last edited by dwevans on Tue May 16, 2017 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
dwevans
dwevans
All-Madden
All-Madden

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattanite Tue May 16, 2017 1:07 pm

dwevans wrote:That graph looks like my mood during the Super Bowl against ET.
Haha, oh the pain... wasn't there a serious plummet at the beginning with Dorsett?
Mattanite
Mattanite
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Back to top Go down

Post by dwevans Tue May 16, 2017 1:11 pm

It was counter balanced by a short lived 7-0 lead. Was hoping for a rage quit at that point.
dwevans
dwevans
All-Madden
All-Madden

Back to top Go down

Post by brza37 Tue May 16, 2017 3:41 pm

Sorry for the late response. I wanted to see what general opinions on this were before commenting. I really like the idea of the varying curves based on age and OVR. However, I'm not sure if its practical here.

Originally, the rule was 5 years max in season 1. Then 4 in season 2-3. Then 3 in seasons 3-5. There were a bunch of issues where people offered above the max because they forgot/didn't realize we had a rule or whatever. In the end people complained it was too complicated and they couldn't sign some high-priced guys with such short contracts. So we scrapped it and went to a flat 5 year max with the exception that you could offer more if the player asked for a longer contract and you provided a screenshot.

In an ideal world, I'd say lets run with what you guys came up with however there have been complaints before that the rules are too complicated and this would add a whole other layer to that. I admit we have a different base now so maybe we could get more people in support of something more complicated for the sake of being more sim but I think it may be difficult to control.
brza37
brza37
Admin

https://sml-europe.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by brza37 Wed May 17, 2017 10:30 am

To be clear, I don't want to shut this idea down. I think it would definitely be more sim than the current rule. If others are in favor of modifying the contract duration rule please speak up.
brza37
brza37
Admin

https://sml-europe.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ParaAUT Wed May 17, 2017 10:45 am

Obviously I'm in favor of adapting the rule slightly, but I'm not sure yet what I think would be the best solution.

The original rule does not sound bad as it's easy to understand for everybode, but of course there are some problems if you have to sign/resign a star player. Jameis Winston signing a 2-year contract in the offseason is just unrealistic.

The other proposal by Matt looks a bit too complicated. I would fear that not everybody can follow that and the commissioners have to edit (or void) several contracts in the 3rd/4th season. So I have the feeling we would need an easier rule.

Maybe take the proposal by Matt as a blueprint and just simplify it a bit? Of course there will be some further discussions, as it's a huge difference to hand out a 5-year contract to a 30-year old HB or a 30-year old QB.
ParaAUT
ParaAUT
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattanite Wed May 17, 2017 12:12 pm

Good input by @brza37 and @ParaAUT there.

I don't mind either way as everyone can currently offer 5 year deals therefore no one is at an immediate disadvantage in free agency. But being able to offer up to 5 year contracts helps those who have not managed their cap as responsibly even if it doesn't hinder those who have.

I am fortunate as I inherited a very well managed team but close to the cap limit and in order to get decent backups I had to offer 5 year, 550k but big guaranteed money to get the "points". Had I not been able to do this, the guaranteed money wouldn't have been there to get the "points" and my FA signings would be on another team and I would have had to sign backups in the 60's as oppose to 70's for OVR.
Mattanite
Mattanite
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down